Tuesday 19 May 2009

Backyard life

Sometimes I wonder if this nature stuff is getting a bit out of hand. Or what do you think of the following:

I have been observing life in our back yard all spring and I suppose I should get my camera out and start spending more time in our yard waiting to get a few pictures. Right behind our fence is a small hole leading underneath a tree. A small mouse has set up house in the hole. It comes out of the hole and runs under the fence to our yard, heads past my dog kennel and hides under the small stack of lumber I have stored in my yard. After hiding a moment under the lumber pile, the mouse comes out and heads on to one of my wife's flowerbeds. It snoops around the flowerbed for some time and then heads across the lawn to the next one or back to it's hole. I suppose I'll have to get a picture of it one of these days. As long as the mouse understands to stay in the yard I don't mind. If it wonders into the house, even once, it will most likely pay for the mistake with it's life.

One of my kennels out back is not in active use at the moment, and now a nest has appeared on top of one of the supporting beams for the kennels' fencing. There are six eggs in the nest. A fieldfare seems to be looking after them. The fare moves away from the nest when ever a dog comes close, but since the kennel is not being used at the moment, it is mainly left in peace. I do have "blacklisted" fieldfares, since they tend to eat everything from berrybushes. Last summer we had zero strawberries because of the birds. I guess I'll take a picture of the bird and it's nest in the near future and just get some netting to cover the bushes as the summer progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment