Tuesday 12 May 2009

Coffee

It's a shame I didn't take pictures, but yesterday photography was the last thing on my mind. Mainly I was concentrating on all the swearwords I could think of. I managed to pour a full cup of coffee right on top of my laptop. As usual, the laptop had it's power on. I grabbed some kitchen paper to wipe as much off as I could, but as the screen went into a mosaic pattern and coffee appeared to be leaking thru the openings on the undeside of the computer, I knew I had a big problem. I proceeded to switch the power off and dry as much of the coffee as possible. Then I just let the machine sit and waited and hoped for the inside to dry up without too much damage. After some time I tried to turn the power back on, but no luck. The power indicator light flicked a few times and then everything powered out.

I decided I had nothing to lose and proceeded to remove the covers off the laptop. Having never opened one before, it turned out to be a rather tricky exercise. Slowly but surely I managed to open everything up without doing any obviously visible damage. Everything inside the computer seemed to be covered in dryed coffee stains. I went to my workshop and took a bottle of pure alcohol and some cleaningpads and -swabs. One drop and swab at a time I started to wipe the stains away from everything I could see. Eventually I felt that I had cleaned everything and started to put everything back together. I was done at one a.m. I decided to leave testing the laptop to the morning and went to bed. Now I tried turning the power on and to my amazement this seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment