Monday 13 July 2009

Rainy day things to do

I got home from night shift in the morning. I had planned on going out and getting some pictures, but the weather forced a change in plans. Rain that started during the night seemed to continue steadily and everything looked rather gray and dull. Not really the optimal weather for photography. In a way it would have some documentary value as rain is as essential part of nature as any, but my project needs pics with more vivid lighting conditions, at least at the moment. Or maybe it's all just my lack of vision and skill speaking, but in any case, I stayed snugged in tight at home.

I decided to make the most of my time indoors and sat down in front of the tv, watching the usual crap that comes out of it and programs that I had for some reason or another decided to save on our digital receiver. I could take it all of an hour and then I had to find something else to do. I started going thru pictures that I had downloaded from memorycards into my computers "sort and file later" -file. Most of the pictures are just basic family snapshots, but they all have a significant value in the sense that they all contain memories of a situation, event or happening that I have felt the need to document for later times. There are a surprisingly large number of pictures in the file. I guess being lazy earlier got me back ten fold, as usual.

Writing my blog, I decided to try and be a little lazy once again. I tried google translator to do my blog for me, or at least to translate it from the original finnish to english. The result was dissappointing. I know my old english teacher, dr. Hendrickson would strangle me for all the mistakes I make now, (all are result of not having to use english as much as I would like) but google really hit the bottom with this one. The "translation" lost a significant amount of meaning and put finnish words that it didn't know in to the ready text as is. I feel confident in writing my blog as before, first in finnish and then with a day or two of delay, in english as well. Writing the text myself seems much faster than trying to correct the gibberish the translating software was able to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment