Friday 2 April 2010

Oops! Mistake!

I obviously didn't think things thru when I set up my hide. Digging a hole in the snow for it came out of memory, it worked well a year ago. Big mistake! I didn't take into account the difference in snow depth and type at all. This time, all the melting snow filled my hole with water. Lucky enough I went to take a look at the place during the day and did not stumble into the hide in darkness to wait for sunrise. It would have been a wet and cold wait. The good thing is that the bottom construction of my hide actually floats, so it had lifted the whole system up as the water level rose. The foxhole looked like this after I had lifted the hide out:
There seemed to be a lot of water underneath the snow in this particular part of the swamp and I am wondering how things will develop as spring progresses. I hope I will not end up swimming with my photography gear. I moved the hide a bit and set it on top of the snow this time.
Judging by the markings in the snow, the grouses have begun mating season:
Not much of a picture, but the imprints in the snow are grouse tracks and the feathers indicate that some kind of a confrontation had occured. My hide seems to be at a rather good spot, but one can never be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment